Monday, March 23, 2015

Spinning and Weaving

For Christmas one of my darling daughters gave me a membership to our local Spinners and Weavers Guild.  What a wonderful gift this has turned out to be!

I have spent the last few months meeting kind, talented people and learning wonderful new skills! I can now spin and weave! I have wanted to learn to spin for the past ten plus years so this is awesome. Sure, I still need more practice but I can turn fibre into yarn. It's amazing! I have even started knitting with the yarn I've made. What a thrill.

This is some llama fibre from a local farm. 

This is a cowl knit from the llama yarn. It's very soft. 

                                          (I realize the colour looks off. It looks grey above and brown below. 
                                    In person it is more brown. I'll try to get better pics when the weather permits. )

As for weaving, I always new I'd never be in a position to own my own loom so I never even dreamed of weaving anything.  Being a member of the guild gives me access to a loom and knowledgeable people who are glad to help. Now there are a lot of projects on my list. So far I've made a scarf and two shawls, which I am quite happy with. And I'm looking forward to starting on tea towels soon. Yeah, you read right, I'm going to make my own tea towels. Never in my wildest dreams would I think of making tea towels. I'm told that once I make my own I'll never waste money on cheap ones again. I'll let you know how it goes.

My first weaving project, a wool scarf. I'm very happy with the results.
My first shawl on the loom. Love the colours.
This is the loom that I've been using with my second shawl started on it. 
If it ever decides to stop being winter here and spring arrives, I'll try to get outside and take some pictures of the completed shawls. They will be perfect for warmer weather.

Thanks for stopping by!
Betty

P.S. I guess you're never too old to learn new tricks!


No comments:

Post a Comment